What We Did In Our Language Arts Classes This Year

This year in my language arts class we have done so much! Some of the things that have happened include a book we read earlier in the year, The Last Cuentista. The Last Cuentista‘s main story takes place in space around a super weird planet. It was a super interesting book! In The Last Cuentista, one of the main characters mentions cuentos, which are basically stories passed down through generations. It’s cool how in a story they mention another form of stories and I think that’s important because books and just stories in general are so important to a child’s learning. Connecting to the cuentos, we actually got to make a cuento about something we wanted to share. 

Another thing we did this year was after we finished The Last Cuentista was we made our Ideal Worlds. Like I previously mentioned, The Last Cuentista took place in space and around a really cool and weird world. So everyone in my class got to make our fun and funky worlds. Mine was focused on government and democracy because that stuff is super interesting to me. If you want to read it I made a blog post about it previously! In addition we got to draw what we thought our Ideal Worlds would look like. 

One of the most recent things we did was we made books with Peg Gignoux. Mrs. Peg is an author and illustrator and every year makes books with the whole 6th grade! In our books, we include our Ideal World as well as our Cuentos. It was a really creative way for us to think outside of the box because it was a multilayered book meaning that behind the center page there was a whole different world. My book ended up looking red with a bunch of stunning plant prints. 

I loved everything we did this year in language arts. From writing stories to making the books they would sit in to talking about the stories and even reading other stories!  Thanks so much to Mrs. Donnelly for being so supportive and teaching everyone so much. Also, thanks so much to Mrs. Peg and the rest of the 6th grade team, this was one of my favorite school years ever and I learned so much! To the 2022-2023 school year, you were such a rollercoaster!